DAR Dolley Madison Dress

I'm a member of the DAR chapter (that's Daughters of the American Revolution for the cooler people out there).  We are having a Dolley Madison tea next weekend, so I made a costume for myself to wear.  Everyone is wearing costumes, not just me, thank heavens.



The sleeves are my favorite part!

I used Simplicity pattern 4055 with Navy Blue broadcloth.  This is actually my first time making any type of dress, so I did pretty well.  One major lesson learned, measure yourself before you launch into a fitted bodice.  I just stuck with my own dress size and had to ease out some seams to make sure it would button.  And I had to add the sash.  The original pattern doesn't have any sashing between the bodice and the skirt.  But I'm so glad it buttons in the back :)  And as I said, I've never done any kind of sewing for dresses before so I was happy with the results.  And I made this in one day!

Note, I found a great site where the original pattern writer (designer?) posts notes about how to make this a better fitting bodice.  Her main point is to add plenty to the bottom of the bodice if you are not an A bust.  Hahaha!  Wish I had seen that yesterday :)  Here is that link: Help with Regency Gown Patter

0 comments:

Post a Comment